Karan Johar is back after Dostana, with Wake Up Sid! What strikes about the movie is the unusual pairing of Sid (Ranbir Kapoor) and Aisha (Konkona Sen Sharma). The trailers give you enough indication that the movie is all about a brattish young boy realising his responsibilities.
Well, the movie is all that… and more!
It first starts with the introduction of a young guy trying to understand the concepts of Financial Accounting. You see him go through the concepts again and again – nothing gets in! An apt start for the movie, which is all about youth rising up to become responsible citizens!
Sid is a run-of-the-mill brattish son of millionnaire parents. The only thing he knows is to spend his dad’s money. He doesnt know what goal is and takes everything in life lightly… All this, until he meets Aisha, who is a totally different personality. She is new to the city and has come with big dreams and ambitions. Sid and Aisha form an unlikely pair. They have nothing in common. Aisha is older than him… and turns down all his advancements. Towards the end, she teaches him how to be responsible… and their journey is what the movie is all about.
Let us now discuss the strenghts and weaknesses of the movie:
- Ranbir Kapoor is a revelation. He suits the role so well, you can not imagine any other actor who could have done a better job. Full marks to him for the excellent portrayal of the confused yet adorable Sid.
- Konkona Sen Sharma rocks as the scared yet determined girl who is overwhelmed by the city of Mumbai and still does not shy away from taking the huge leap!
- The supporting cast is appropriately chosen and they all do a fabulous job – right from the likes of Anupam Kher and Supriya Pathak (Sid’s parents) to the entire crew of Sid’s friends who are all new actors! A special mention of Supriya Pathak, whose intense portrayal of a woman, who is trying desperately hard to become friends with her son, who does not have time for her… whether it is learning to speak broken English or putting up with her only son’s indolent behavior, she is top notch!
- Music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy is beautiful. The songs move so well with the movie, that they do not interfere with the well-laid out story line. The background score is top-notch.
- The first rate direction by Ayan Mukerji. There are some emotional scenes in the movie, which could have been easily ruined by either over playing them (which wud have killed the mood) or by underplaying them (which wud have not created enough impact). The scenes were done to create the maximum impact and they did.
- The story was another plus for the movie. It is a simple story – A story that the audience can easily relate to… it is, in fact, your and my story. There is a Sid in all of us… and we have all gone through the emotions that he goes through. This is where the connect happens! You cry when Sid cries, you laugh at his goofiness… somewhere during the 2.15 hrs, you fall in love with him🙂
- The love angle shown between the lead pair is very pure and pristine! In times when no movie is complete without a passionate lip lock between the lead pair, this movie shows the erstwhile candle light romance – something that had been missing from the screen for quite a while!🙂
- According to me, the movie is flawless! I could not think of any weaknesses. Please share your ideas if you noticed something that I missed!
All in all, a great movie! Those who say that the movie is not in league of DCH, can eat their own words. While DCH was the story of 3 friends, this is the story of just one guy… so the comparisons are illegitimate.
The movie in one word is: Awesome!!!😀