That time of the year when you gather your thoughts on what went by.. I like to do that by making a list of things that happened around the world – what worked for me and what did not.
- Indian audience started reacting to and appreciating low-budget movies made with nothing to promote except brilliant script and some great piece of acting – Letting movies talk for themselves – That seemed to have been the flavour of 2010. (A shining eg: Udaan)
- The financial world that was crumbling in 2008 and 2009, became a little more stable in 2010.
- Thirty-three miners near Copiapó, Chile, trapped 700 metres underground in a mining accident in San José Mine, are brought back to the surface after surviving for a record 69 days – Brilliant use of modern age technology
- Researchers at CERN trap 38 antihydrogen atoms for a sixth of a second, marking the first time in history that humans have trapped antimatter
What did not:
- Natural calamities continued to hit the world: Massive earthqukes in Chile (Largest ever), Haiti (Deadliest ever), China
- Deepwater Horizon oil spill led to one of the largest in history – causing lot of harm to the aquatic flora and fauna
- Numerous air-flights all over the world crashed, killing hundreds of travellers:
- Ethiopian Airlines Flight 409 crashes into the Mediterranean Sea shortly after take-off from Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport, killing all 90 people on-board.
- The President of Poland, Lech Kaczyński, is among 96 killed when their airplane crashes in western Russia
- Afriqiyah Airways Flight 771 crashes at runway at Tripoli International Airport in Libya, killing 103 of the 104 people on board
- Air India Express Flight 812 overshoots the runway at Mangalore International Airport in India, killing 158 and leaving 8 survivors
- Aero Caribbean Flight 883 crashes in central Cuba, killing all 68 people on board
IndianHindi film industry saw a series of flops, some really big budget movies with some big stars sinking at the box office: Kites, Raavan, Guzaarish, Action Replayy, including the latest Tees Maar Khan
- Protests in Bangkok, Thailand ends with a bloody military crackdown, killing 91 and more than 2,100 injured
- WikiLeaks releases a collection of more than 250,000 American diplomatic cables, including 100,000 marked “secret” or “confidential” – The world just isn’t safe anymore. I would not be surprised, if this alone leads to World War III
- Volcanic ash from one of several eruptions beneath Eyjafjallajökull, an ice cap in Iceland, began to disrupt air traffic across northern and western Europe
I just noticed that the downs outweigh the ups!😦 Here is hoping when I make this list one year from today, there are far more ups than downs!
Let us welcome the year of new hopes, new desires and new mountains to be climbed!
Here’s wishing you all a fantastic 2011🙂
[PS: Did I miss out anything? Let me know if I did :)]